Finding the Perfect Pan – Oxo Good Grips Frying Pan:
Whilst we all spend a lot of time searching for new gadgets and toys to use in the kitchen, sometimes it is worth remembering that getting the RIGHT basic products matters a whole lot more. I use a frying pan almost every time I cook. To fry onions, to brown meat, to soften root vegetables for a casserole or soup and perhaps caramelise them just a bit to bring out the sweetness without having to add sugar. I love my heavy cast iron pans for cooking in the oven, but when it comes to frying I want to be able to lift the pan up quickly and safely, away from the heat. So, for most things I prefer a lighter weight, good quality non-stick frying pan.
More than any other pan, it’s worth buying the best frying pan you can. The non-stick finish needs to be robust enough to cope with high temperatures from oil. A good, well balanced solid base is important so that everything cooks evenly. And, the right handle is vital. I remember buying a beautiful metal handled frying pan, which eventually went to the charity shop because I kept trying to pick it up and burning my hand. And, I had a stylish pan with a wooden handle. Whilst it never actually caught fire, it did end up a bit charred.
When OXO offered to send me a Good Grips pan, which comes with a lifetime warrenty, I was both delighted and a little apprehensive. Like shoes, I tend to never buy saucepans and frying pans online. But, thankfully the OXO Good Grips pan ticks all the boxes. If you’d like to see it in action, head over to my recent post on how to make an omelette.
- A dishwasher safe finish
- A fabulous non-stick finish. Apparently it is a ‘3 layer German engineered PFOA-free’ finish. That means that no matter how hot the pan gets it won’t be releasing nasty toxins into your food
- A soft, silicon handle which doesn’t get hot and is ultra comfortable to hold
- It’s oven safe – and while I don’t intend testing that one, I do sometimes want to put my frying pan under the grill to brown the top of a dish
- The pan is induction friendly – so if you have one of those posh electric hobs that needs special pans, this one will work!
- It also doesn’t need a lot of added oil – so it’s actually a very healthy way to cook something like a home made burger!
So far, it has worked like a dream. I’m chucking out my old frying pan and seriously considering buying another size of these.
The lovely people at OXO have promised one to give away to a London Unattached reader too. All you need to do is follow the rafflecopter through, remembering to answer the simple question and you’ll be in with a chance of winning a pan for yourself.
a Rafflecopter giveaway