A Two Bin One Person Household – the Totem versus the Titan.
Fiona Maclean and Adrian York:
It may sound perverse but when I first moved into this house 3 years ago the first thing I did was to buy a new ‘designer’ bin.
Of course, I went to Joseph Joseph as my first port of call – and soon became the proud owner of a 48l Totem bin, complete with composting caddy and recycling drawer. For a while when friends came round to see my new house I’d take them down to the kitchen to see the bin. Seriously! I even wrote about it…
It is a really logical set-up for a small household (there’s a larger 60l bin if you need more space for your trash). The caddy system has got me organising my compostable waste for the first time ever and the recycling drawer works brilliantly.
Then, a month or so ago, Joseph Joseph asked if I’d like to review the Titan Compactor. Well, who would say no to a new shiny bin? Seriously…I was curious, although if I’m honest I love my Totem.
I came to the conclusion that the Titan was the perfect choice for a small family that is often a bit bigger. One just like London-Unattached contributor, Adrian’s. So, he came and collected his new baby and as a result, we now have a shared review. Firstly Adrian on the Joseph Joseph Titan Trash Compactor
7 things I love about the Titan Trash Compactor:
- It’s super-stylish adding a design element to even the most mundane of kitchen items
- It’s Eco-friendly using fewer bin bags than a traditional bin system
- It’s odourless with an activated carbon filter waving goodbye to ‘bin pong’
- It’s hygienic being pedal-operated and having a handle that means you don’t touch the waste
- It’s cost effective with a 10 year warranty
- It’s easy to clean and fingerprint resistant
- No torn bin liners!
Fill it with rubbish….
and then compact!
All bins should be this way!
Now, my take on The Totem:
7 reasons why I love the Joseph Joseph Totem bin:
- It’s just as stylish as the Titan – in fact I’d argue a little more so, since there are a range of finish options available
- It comes in two different sizes – 48l for a small household – 60l for a family
- It has got me recycling efficiently. Empty cans and jars go straight into the drawer, compostable waste into the caddy. It works!
- Just like the Titan, it is odorless with a carbon filter
- While it seemed expensive when I first bought it, the 10 year warranty means that it will be a good investment
- It looks streamline and modern in my kitchen and takes up minimal floor space.
- It’s easy to clean – the stainless steel finish wipes down perfectly and even after three years of constant use it looks pretty good.
Which should you choose? Well, if you regularly run out of bin space then the Joseph Joseph Tital is an obvious choice. If, like me, you struggle with recycling, the Totem is a great idea, it takes up minimal floor space and it works well for a small household.
I never thought it was possible to fall in love with a bin. But, Joseph Joseph have proved me wrong, twice!
For more about the bins, why not check out the Joseph Joseph website
Disclosure: We were given the Titan bin for the purpose of review. All content is editorially given