5:2 Diet Recipe Seared Scallops with Chilli Lime Butter
Along with a number of other food bloggers I was rather taken by the 5:2 diet as described on a recent Horizon programme where Michael Mosley highlighted some research that suggested that by having two days a week of ‘semi fasting’ you could not only lose weight but also improve your health overall. Hence the term 5:2 diet. If you want to find out more, here’s the link to the BBC iPlayer clip for the Horizon Programme
Now, as someone who regularly eats out I’ve found most diets almost impossible to follow. You can’t go to review a restaurant and order a green salad, no dressing and egg white omelette. It just doesn’t work. So, this particular diet seems like the perfect solution to me. I don’t eat out EVERY day of the week, so hopefully I can find days when I can do the fasting part of the 5:2 diet. I also like the idea of having something really special as part of my fasting day that I might not think is enough for a main meal on a normal day. I’m thinking of exotic soups and salads and some special seafood like these seared scallops
Anyway, today was my first attempt at a fasting day – no more than 500 calories. I was lucky, I had some fabulous scallops from Delish Fish in the fridge, so I decided they would be the perfect solution for my main 5:2 diet meal. I didn’t want to feel I was eating something very bland, so I made a lime and chilli butter to dress them. That may sound bad, but I grilled the scallops on the George Foreman Grill (you could use a heavy frying pan or griddle if you don’t have one), so the small pat of butter I used to dress the scallops was the only fat in the entire meal.
I did split the calories into two meals. My food diary with estimated calories for the day is as follows
Breakfast – 100g low fat greek yoghurt with 1 teaspoon honey (around 100 calories)
Early supper – seared scallops (129 calories) with chilli lime butter (30 calories), pea shoot salad (30 calories)
Throughout the day – 5 cups of coffee with 1% milk, one coke zero. (65 calories)
Total = 354 calories
Scallops are a very low calorie seafood, so if you are trying to lose weight they are a good option to try, so long as you avoid adding a lot of cream or butter based sauce. By searing them, you get a lovely flavour which blends perfectly with the chilli lime butter. Without more hesitation, here’s my first 5:2 diet recipe.
- 100-150 g Scallops
- 1 Lime
- 1 Red Chilli
- 20 g Butter
- 1 handful Pea shoots or your favourite green salad leaves.
- Dry the scallops carefully between kitchen paper. You need to do this if you want the searing to work if not, they will stew rather than sear on a medium-high grill
- Zest the lime and squeeze the juice from one half only
- Deseed the chilli
- Blitz the chilli and butter with a little salt, then add in the lime zest and juice. You will only need a tiny amount of this, but the remainder will keep well in the fridge for a week or so.
- Heat the grill or griddle to medium hot. You may want to wipe the surface with a little sunflower oil on some kitchen roll if you are not sure how non-stick the surface is.
- Put the scallops on the grill and gently put the lid down. You will need to cook them for approximately 3 minutes. If you are cooking them on a griddle or pan then flip them over after a minute.
- Put the peashoots onto a plate and lay the scallops on top. Dress them with just a tiny pat of the chilli butter on each one.
Now I just have to work out my next 5:2 Diet Day meal plan. If this works as promised, it will enable me to lose weight, improve my overall health and carry on my hedonistic lifestyle on five days of the week for just two days of torture. A small penalty to pay. So keep your fingers crossed for me and the 5:2 Diet
Update – I thought it might be useful to cross link the recipe ideas I have made so far for the 5:2 Diet
5:2 Diet Celery and Spinach soup