Goats Cheese and Beetroot Salad with Honeyed Walnuts
There are a thousand and one variations on this for Goats Cheese and Beetroot Salad around.
My version was made to use the cooked beetroot in mild vinegar that LoveBeetroot sent me this week. We’ve been having something of an Indian Summer and after wandering around the Farmers Market at Parson’s Green I really didn’t want a hot lunch. But I had bought some wonderful goats cheese from Nut Knowle Farm and some organic salad greens.
- 1 small beetroot in a mild vinegar cut into 4 or 5 slices you could make this yourself by marinading beetroot overnight in wine vinegar
- About an ounce of goats cheese feta would be a good substitute
- A handful of salad greens
- 4 or 5 walnuts
- Oil wine or sherry vinegar and mustard for the dressing
- First make the salad dressing and honeyed walnuts.
- Lightly toast the walnuts in a dry skillet.
- Now while they are still hot, crush in a food processor or with a pestle and mortar (if this is just for you, the pestle and mortar will work fine!).
- Don’t make the mixture too fine and remove a handful of the larger pieces of walnut. Stir these into a teaspoon or two of honey
- Now continue to crush the walnuts till there are no really big pieces of nut remaining. You don’t need a powder though.
- Mix together two parts olive oil to one part vinegar, a little mustard (I used maille honey mustard), salt and honey or sugar if necessary. Stir through the remaining crushed walnuts.
- Dress the salad leaves and arrange nicely on a plate.
- Arrange slices of beetroot and the honeyed walnuts on the leaves
- Now crumble the goats cheese over the mixture
- If you like you can drizzle a little more dressing over the goats cheese and beetroot at this stage.
- Serve with very fresh crusty bread
A lovely flavoured salad to enjoy at this time of year when our tomatoes are not quite ripe enough and we need something that is just a little earthy and substantial!
If you’d like to try for yourself, why not pin this post for later