Cast Iron Chasseur Cookware from Viking Direct:
In previous lives I’ve used Viking Direct quite extensively to order a whole range of office staples. And, while I knew they had a limited range of kitchen equipment, I didn’t expect to find what I regard as *proper* cookware there. So when I was invited to pick something to review, I chose this pretty matt black cast iron casserole.
I’m a huge fan of this type of cookware for all sorts of reasons.
- You can use the casserole on the hob to brown all the vegetables and meat.
- Once your dish is ready to cook, you can just put it straight in the oven
- The cast iron creates a really good even cooking environment. This version will work on an induction hob too.
- Because the pan lid is quite heavy it seals in all the liquid really well so your stews and casseroles won’t dry out
- The cookware is easy to clean. I have some old cast iron pans that I have to season and clean very carefully to avoid ruining the surface. The modern versions all have a special non-stick finish
- This particular make can go in the dishwasher (and WILL be going in the dishwasher!)
I have been looking for a perfect one-two people casserole for a while. This 18cm casserole is just the right size for a small game bird or poussin. Perfect for two, at a stretch you could probably make a casserole for 3/4 people in this too.
I’m really pleased…and delighted to have one to give away to one of you too.
All you need to do is follow the rafflecopter through as normal, remembering to check out the Viking website and find something else from the Eating and Drinking section you’d like to try. I’ll pick a winner at random 30 days from now!