Last Updated on
Glazed Tuna Steak – Healthy 5:2 Diet Recipe:
A few weeks ago I was sent a little bottle of Yutaka Yuzu to try. For those who don’t know, Yuzu is a citrus fruit – related to lime – that is used a lot in Japanese cookery, often in the form of Ponzu – a soy and mirin based fish sauce. I first came across it at Atsuko’s Kitchen where we learnt to cook Kyushu style food.
I’ve been waiting for a good opportunity to try some of the yuzu and decided to make a simple glaze for my tuna steak. Of course, it’s not a revolutionary way to cook tuna – you can make a soy based glaze without the yuzu, either by using rice wine vinegar or another citrus juice. But, I think the result here was just a little more fragrant than a rice wine vinegar version.
Another time I might experiment with lime instead of yuzu, although I really enjoyed this version. And, although the prep time says 35 minutes, in fact it is probably about 5 minutes of actual doing – and 30 minutes of letting the fish marinade.
One word of warning, don’t marinade for TOO long. The citrus (or vinegar) will actually ‘cook’ the fish and if you leave it in the fridge overnight for example, you’ll have ‘cooked’ tuna before it ever hits the grill.
- 100 g Fresh Tuna Steak
- 2 teaspoons Mirin
- 1 teaspoon Yuzu Or lime if not available
- 1 teaspoon Light Soy
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1 clove Garlic Crushed
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- Mix together all the ingredients except the Tuna
- Put the Tuna in a plastic tub with a fitted lid and drizzle over the marinade
- Fit the lid and leave the mixture to marinade for 30 minutes, turning once every 10 minutes
- Heat a griddle or line your grill pan with foil and heat
- Cook the tuna on the griddle basting with the extra marinade for around 2-3 minutes each side, depending on the thickness of your steak
I served my tuna with a simple mixed salad. But, you could try a stir fry vegetable dish if you prefer, even adding in zero noodles if you are feeling particularly hungry. The cooked tuna steak will be just over 150 calories, so there’s plenty of room for a side dish!