Last Updated on
Bring a bit of South African sunshine into your life with KWV The Mentors wines.
One of the leading wine and spirits producers in South Africa, KWV was founded as a winemaking co-operative on 8 January 1918 by winemakers from the Western Cape. Their name “Koöperatieve Wijnbouwers Vereniging van Suid-Afrika” is Afrikaans for “Co-operative Winemakers Union’ of South Africa” and the original aim of the business was to help to create unity between the wine farmers in South Africa and facilitate continuous improvement in the quality of South African wines and brandies. The Mentors range of wines was first bottled in 2006 and launched internationally in 2009. They are small-batch wines which are intended to showcase the absolute best of South African viticulture and which showcase the diverse terroir of the country.
The range comprises nine wines, released annually: Perold, Chenin Blanc, Grenache Blanc, Petit Verdot, Grenache Noir, Pinotage, Cabernet France, Orchestra and Canvas. Additional wines are produced by winemaker Izele Van Blerk and her team by experimenting with new varietals. So, for example, this year there is a Carménère. Sarah from the London-Unattached team was lucky enough to go to a vertical tasting event last year and we know just how good these wines are. Find out more on the KWV site.
But, it’s the Grenache Blanc and Petit Verdot from the Mentors range that we are talking about here. The Mentors Grenache Blanc 2017 is 100% Grenache from grapes sourced in Stellenbosch, Paarl, Wellington and Robertson. 65% of the blend is a tank-fermented Grenache blanc, left on extended lees contact for 80 days after fermentation. The remaining 35% was matured for 6 months in second and third fill barrels. Bottled in November 2017, it’s perfect for drinking right now and would pair well with fish or risotto.
The Petit Verdot is made from 100% Petit Verdot, all from Stellenbosch vineyards. Again, it is made by blending wines that have been allowed to mature for longer (18 months in this case) back into the 12 months aged wine. It’s the kind of robust red wine I associate most with South Africa and should pair well with hearty red meats and cheese. Perfect to drink now, you could also cellar this for at least eight years.
Both the wines retail for around £16 and I’ve got a bottle of each as a prize for one lucky London-Unattached reader. All you need to do in order to be in with a chance of winning is follow through the Rafflecopter. In the meantime, you could always stock up – check out the independent suppliers who stock The Mentors wines.
The Mentors Grenache Blanc 2017
|Carruthers And Kent – https://www.carruthersandkent.com/home|
|Slurp Wine Company Limited www.slurp.co.uk|
|Newton Wines http://www.newton-wines.com/|
|Cellar Door Wines Ltd. https://cellardoorwines.co.uk/|
|Mitchells Vintners Ltd https://www.mitchellswine.co.uk/|
|Perold Wine Cellar https://peroldwinecellar.co.uk/|
The Mentors Petit Verdot 2017
|Slurp Wine Company Limited – www.slurp.co.uk|
|The Whalley Wine Shop – https://www.thewhalleywineshop.com/|
|Lindley Fine Wines – https://lindleyfinewines.co.uk/|
|Steevenson Wines Ltd – https://www.steevensonwines.co.uk/|
|Cellar Door Wines Ltd – https://cellardoorwines.co.uk/|
|Cape Wine And Food Ltd – https://www.capewineandfood.com/|
|Oakdene Fine Wine Importers Ltd – https://www.oakdene.com.au/Wine|
|SH Jones Wines Limited – https://www.shjones.com/|
|Lancaster Wines – https://www.lancasterwinecompany.com/|
|Newton Wines – http://www.newton-wines.com/|
|Magnum Wineshop – http://www.magnumwineshop.co.uk/|
|Perold Wine Cellar – https://peroldwinecellar.co.uk/|
|TFW Fine Wines – http://www.independentfinewines.co.uk/|