Personalised Treats for Father’s Day – and a Sinful Chocolate and Whisky Dessert
Guest Feature by Sarah James:
My father is a young at heart 86 year old, who happens to enjoy a good single malt. Alexander and James do more than just stock some very nice drinks, they also offer an engraving service to make a gift even more special.
I think that the smile on my father’s face says it all here! a bottle of Talisker whisky from Alexander and James would definitely have been on his Father’s Day Gift bucket list.
The challenge was to bake/make a dessert based on a cocktail, using whisky as the inspiration. So I created a Rusty Nail on a Plate. This was a Scottish themed desert using whisky and Drambuie. It’s based on Delia Smith’s Truffle Torte in her Christmas book, which uses rum and Amaretti biscuits, and which is a staple of my mother’s party food repertoire.
- 5 tablespoons liquid glucose
- 2 tablespoons whisky
- 3 tablespoons Drambuie
- 450 g dark chocolate at least 70% cocoa
- 570 ml double cream
- 80 g Scottish Shortbread
- Cocoa powder to dust when ready to serve and a few Scottish raspberries if desired.
- Crush the shortbread biscuits (I find putting them in a bag and whacking with a rolling pin works well), and then
- Sprinkle the crushed biscuits onto the base of the tin. Meanwhile bring a saucepan of water to simmer.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and put them in a heat proof bowl with the liquid glucose, whisky and Drambuie
- Fit over the pan of simmering water, wait until melted and stir.
- Take off the heat and leave until just warm.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream until slightly thickened
- Fold half into the chocolate mix
- Fold that mixture into the rest of the cream until smoothly blended.
- Spoon into prepared tin and tap to even out the mixture
- Chill in fridge (preferably overnight). This can be frozen at this stage if you wish.
- To serve, run a palate knife around the edge to loosen the Rusty Nail, and turn out onto a serving plate so that the shortbread is now on the top.
- Dust with sifted cocoa powder and decorate with raspberries