A tasty, fresh and easy to prepare summer salad.
1. Preheat oven to 190 C / 170 C fan. Lay the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and cook for 10 - 12 minutes, until golden brown. Watch that they don't burn. Allow to cool and chop roughly.
2. Bring a pan of water to the boil, ad the broad beans and cook for 3 - 5 minutes until just tender. Drain into a colander and run under cold water, then drain again. Remove the skins by slitting the skin with your fingernail and popping the beans out the skin. Podding improves taste and texture.
3. Lay a piece of absorbent paper on a plate. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and, once hot, lay strips of pancetta over the base of the pan. It will cook very quickly so be prepared to turn the strips over almost straight away to brown on the other side. Be careful not to burn. Once cooked, lay the strips onto the kitchen paper to absorb excess fat. You may need to cook pancetta in two batches.
4. make the salad dressing - in a clean jam jar, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and maple syrup ( or agave syrup or honey) with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Shake vigorously to combine.
5. Roughly chop the basil and mint and place in a large bowl. Add the salad leaves, broad beans, half the hazelnuts and half the Comté. Roughly chop 8 strips of pancetta, add it to the bowl, then pour over the dressing and toss the salad with your hands.
6. Arrange the salad onto two plates, then lay over the remaining strips of pancetta, the Comté, and sprinkle over the remaining hazelnuts.