Feast Day – Chocolate Cherry Brandy Brownies:
OK…a slightly decadent idea, but why not? After all, yesterday was a fasting day! And this month’s challenge for We Should Cocoa is CHERRIES. Now, I am not a great fan of glace cherries which are more often used in cakes. So I decided to try making some fresh cherry brownies.
Why? Well, honestly that’s what I felt like eating and in my book, there is no better reason. The cherries were lovely dark red British ones and if I was a proper food blogger I would have saved some and used them to make beautiful pictures. But, I am a bit useless and ate any spare ones before it got to photo tome!, so instead you will have to put up with my grandma’s favourite rosebud plate!
Without further ado here’s how to make them.
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 200 g 70% Chocolate
- 100 ml Brandy
- 100-125 g Fresh Cherries Washed, Stoned and Halved
- 250 g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 100 g Plain Flour
- Pre heat the oven to 170c
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a medium size glass bowl. You can either do this over a bain marie, or if you are lazy like me, zap in the microwave on 20 second bursts. Put to one side and allow to cool
- Grease and line an 8inch square cake tin
- Beat the caster sugar and salt into the chocolate and butter mixture till smooth. I used an electric hand whisk for this - you could do it by hand or in a stand mixer if you prefer
- Now beat in the eggs one by one
- Add the brandy and mix well
- Stir the sifted flour through and mix in half the cherries
- Pour the batter into the cake tin then dot the remaining cherries over the top
- Put in the pre-heated oven and cook for 30-40 minutes till the top is browned and starting to crack.
- Leave to cool in the tin before removing and cutting into squares
I really love these. It’s my second time making brownies – my first attempt was at making a cream cheese brownie based on a David Lebovitz recipe. I couldn’t find a recipe for brownies with cherries and brandy so I adapted another cream cheese brownie recipe from Eric Lanyard that was just a little simpler. I like fresh fruit with chocolate and I’m hoping these will freeze well. I discovered the cream cheese ones were lovely taken out of the freezer and zapped in the microwave for 30 seconds! And, I need to freeze them all before my next 5:2 fasting day because I am 100% sure they would blow any calorie counting!