Last Updated on
POM Wonderful Collaboration- Pomegranate Cocktails.
Guest feature by Sarah James:
I was set a challenge to make some cocktails using POM, and enjoy some delicious pistachio nuts at the same time. I hesitated for a nano second…
I had heard about pomegranates being a new ‘superfood’ and have used pomegranate molasses in cooking Persian dishes, and the actual fruit from time-to-time in salads – although it always seems a lot of effort to get to the good bit. So a juice seems the perfect way to get the goodness without all the effort.
We set to and came up with 3 cocktails. Whilst we were making them, we open the Wonderful Pistachios in sweet chilli flavour, which were delicious.
So channelling our inner Tom Cruise/Brian Brown’s we set to. Our first cocktail was the “POM Royale”. This was a twist on a classic and we used about 50/50 ratio of POM to Champagne.
Our second cocktail was a “POM Margarita”;
made as follows:
- Lime wedge, plus more for garnish
- Salt (I used Maldon, try not to use ‘table salt’)
- 125ml tequila
- 60ml Triple Sec
- 120ml pomegranate juice
- 1 lime, juiced (optional)
How to make POM Margarita
1) Pour the salt onto a plate or shallow dish. With a lime wedge, rub the rim of each glass. Dip the glasses upside down into the salt, to salt the rims. Fill the glasses with ice.
2) In a cocktail shaker with ice, place the tequila, triple sec, pomegranate juice and lime juice. Pour the liquid into the salt-rimmed glasses.
3) Garnish each glass with a lime wedge, if desired.
This was my favourite of the evening.
Our third cocktail was a “POM Mohito”
- handful mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 120 ml Light rum
- 240 ml Pomegranate juice
- Club Soda
- 1/2 Lime (cut in 1/4 inch rounds)
How to make POM Mohito
1) Muddle Sugar, Mint & 2 Lime Wheels in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
2) Add Rum & Pomegranate Juice, shake vigorously & pour over ice in a highball glass.
3) Top with Club Soda & garnish with Mint.
At the risk of sounding very alcoholic, I think we added too much soda – I would have preferred it stronger!
It was fun to be given the chance to get creative with the cocktail shaker, and I feel inspired to try some more next weekend. There is a version of POM which also contains apple, and I’m thinking that this would be very good with Bison Grass vodka, or a citrus flavoured vodka.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post although all content is editorial.