5:2 Diet Fish and Chips on Friday and Best of British
As I am sure you know, I am following the 5:2 diet and today just happens to be one of my fast days. It’s also Friday. I’m also about to go on holiday and I’m aware that I still haven’t done my #BestofBritish challenge dish myself.
So, what better trick than to combine all three. Fish and Chips is known as being a dish with London origins. The theory is that chips were invented as a cheap substitute for fried fish, which was introduced to the streets of London by Jewish refugees from Portugal and Spain.
Of course if you are making a fish dish for the 5:2 diet, you need to try to avoid deep frying, so I’ve done a baked breaded version and I’ve made spiced oven chips to minimise the amount of oil I needed to cook the potatoes.
All in, cooked this way the meal comes in at about 370 calories so long as you stick to a relatively small serving of chips (about 140g or a small potato!). And actually I rather liked these spicy oven chips though they were closer to potato wedges in flavour (maybe I put in a bit too much paprika?). The fish was lovely, though it hasn’t cured my yearning for deep fried batter!
Here’s how you do it.
- 1 Fillet of Cod Skin removed
- 1 Egg white
- 2 teaspoons Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Small Potato Scrubbed
- 1/2 teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Za'atar
- Pre heat the oven to 200c
- Slice the potato into chips.
- Mix the spices and oil in a ramakin and rub the oily mix over the chips. You can use the chips themselves to spread the spice mixture
- Put the egg-white on one small plate and the breadcrumbs on a second one. Coat the fish first in eggwhite then in breadcrumbs
- Grease a non stick baking tray and lay out the chips and fish in a single layer
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes till the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges and peas.
I am making this my Best of British Entry for London. But, I am also extending the deadline for everyone since I’m running the event this month. I just haven’t had enough time myself, so I suspect there are other people in the same situation.
You have till the end of September to get your entries to me, for more information please check out my original post . There’s a £50 amazon voucher for one of the entries and we’ve had some great ideas so far.