Last Updated on
5-2 Diet Plan Low Calorie Meals – Nduja Topped Cod:
Another 5-2 diet week, another 5-2 diet plan. Thankfully this week involves a little less eating out than last week and I’m starting the week with a 5-2 diet fast day, although apart from the fact that I’m not drinking any wine this evening it really doesn’t feel like one.
I made a homemade celery and potato soup for lunch (recipe to come). Just a tiny amount of potato to thicken the soup a bit. Homemade soup is something that always helps me to feel full – I’m not sure if it’s the process of cooking that helps, but you know I don’t really care;)
For my 5-2 fast day dinner I wanted to incorporate food which I’ve been sent, because otherwise it can easily get wasted! I recently won a wonderful hamper of Unearthed Foods goodies, including some Nduja sausage – a spicy Italian sausage that is quite unique because it ‘melts’ when warmed up. I’ve already tried it as a pasta sauce, but having tasted the sauce, I decided it would be the perfect topping for some of the wonderful cod I have from Delish Fish.
- 1/2 Medium Onion Finely diced
- 1 Small Carrot Finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic Finely diced
- 2 Medium Vine Tomatoes Skinned and de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 15 g Nduja Sausage If this isn't available, you could use dried chili flakes and a teaspoon of olive oil.
- 5 shots 1-cal oil
- 150 g Cod
- 1 stick Celery Finely diced
- 1/2 can Cannelli Beans
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 handful Parsley Finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 170c
- Sweat the onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 8-10 minutes over a low heat till soft
- Stir in the tomato and nduja and continue to cook till the nduja is melted and the tomato is softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cod on a large piece of foil and top with the nduja mixture
- Make a foil parcel and place in the oven for 15 minutes
- Serve with cannelli beans, warmed through with the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of olive oil and garnished with fresh parsley
Now, Nduja is VERY rich and very calorific, but you really don’t need much to make a simple tomato sauce taste robust and meaty. I used just 10g for my meal tonight, so although it’s 560calories for 100 grams, that only adds 56 calories! The result is that my very rich tasting and filling supper still comes in at under 360 calories, even with a generous portion of cannellini beans. Nduja is also quite oily and that helps to give depth to the dish. And the cannellini beans are high in fibre and very filling. Add a tomato and vegetable topping and you have a meal which is both low calorie and satisfying. Perfect for a 5-2 diet fast day.
This WAS something of an experiment in what I could try on a 5-2 diet fast day without going over my 500 calories, but it seems to be one that has worked as my daily calorie count is as follows:
Lunch: Celery Soup – 70 calories
Dinner: Nduja topped cod with cannellini beans 358 calories
Milk allowance for coffee and tea: 50 calories
Total 478 calories
All in, I count this day a success and just hope that the fact I seem to manage to eat so well on the 5-2 diet doesn’t mean I am going to stop losing weight! I’m now 63kg, which means I have just 3kg left until I reach my target weight of 60kg. I can honestly say the 5-2 diet is the only diet I’ve ever managed to follow for more than a week or so, and the only one I can see working for me for the rest of my life. If you need a little help to get you started do check out my 5-2 diet tips where you’ll find some simple advice to make life easier!